Are you looking to start a fashion blog, and do not exactly know how to actually get started the right way? It is easy to start a blog, but the difficult part is how to be successful and make money from it.
In this article, we will show you how to start a fashion blog as well as help you with the best tips on how to make money from your fashion blog.
Starting a fashion blog allows you to express yourself in the most creative way. You will be able to demonstrate your skills to a wider audience and turn your free advice into cash.
If you have a unique take on fashion and style, then you must have seen some top fashion bloggers and influencers on Instagram. These fashion blogs not only provide a platform to the bloggers, but they also bring lots of opportunities their way.
If you are passionate about fashion and style, then you should definitely start a fashion blog. Although starting a blog is just a tip of the iceberg, building a successful blog is what counts, like all important things in life, making the blog popular and monetizing it requires effort.
However, if you do it right, then you’ll certainly find the experience to be rewarding and fulfilling.
How to Start a Fashion Blog?
First, you need to choose the right platform to build your own fashion blog. There are several blogging platforms available to choose from, but each one of them has its own pros and cons.
For example, you can start a free blog on a platform like WordPress.com, Blogger.com, Tumblr.com, Wix, Squarespace, Medium, etc. These are called free blogs, and they are very limited in terms of features and flexibility when it comes to growing your personal brand. The most important limitation is your ability to make money from your content.
Instagram is also a good option, but you don’t own it. You can build a huge following and all of these can go away in a minute if Instagram decides that your content violated some of their policies.
So bad, with all these limitations, how can one actually start a fashion blog?
Being positive, the best way to start your fashion blog is by creating your own website with complete ownership and total control.
Now the question is, how could a beginner with no knowledge of coding build a website?
This is where WordPress.org comes in. It is a powerful website builder that gives you absolute control and full ownership of your website. It’s important not to confuse WordPress.org with WordPress.com.
They’re two different platforms.
1. Hosted blogging platforms: These are platforms owned by companies (like WordPress.com, Tumblr.com, Blogger.com, Wix, Squarespace, medium, etc.), that provide simple proprietary software to build your blog, and storage to save your website files.
With Hosted platforms you don’t have control of your blog, your blog is managed by a third party, and you are limited in some functionalities as regards building your blog to standard, which may, in turn, affect you, if you plan to monetize your blog later on.
2. Self-hosted platforms: These are platforms (like, Wordpress.org) that allows you superior accessibility to functionalities and absolute control over your website. With self-hosted platforms you can decide your website appearance, that is, how you want your website to look.
You have access to hundreds, if not thousands of plugins that will help you build and design your website to standard. Not enough, you have opportunities to monetize your website freely and without limitations.
Now, after hearing all these, which do you prefer as your blogging platform? It’s a choice to make there. But I suggest you go for the self-hosted platforms, with reasons, as discussed above.
There are basically two major things you need to start a fashion blog using WordPress.org:
1. Domain name: This will be your website’s address and what users will type in their browsers to visit your blog (Example, mmoinstitute.com).
A domain name is followed by either a TLD or CCTLD.
TLD means top-level domain, such as .com, .net, .org. These domains are designed to target a global audience, that is, all over the world. Most websites on the internet make use of .com and it is the most preferred.
CCTLDs, these are country code top level domains, such as .com.uk, .com.ng, .com.in, .com.sg. These domains target specific countries. Although they can still be accessed anywhere in the world. For example, the .com.ng domain targets Nigeria, .com.uk targets United Kingdom, .com.sg, Singapore.
You can choose any of those, it all depends on your target audience, you want to go worldwide, and I suggest you choose the TLDs, or you are targeting the audience in your geographic location, you can go with the CCTLDs, but you can still use the TLDs for this.
Now, what would you like to name your website? You may decide to name it after your name, like my name Samuel Umo, I can use samuelumo.com, or you can choose any name that you find suitable to use.
For those whose first choice of the domain name is not available or has been taken by some other user. Do not panic, there are thousands of names out there to choose from that are yet to be noticed. Think smart, you will come to find a better alternative.
2. Web hosting: Your web host serves as a shelter to your website. It stores your website files and database, it makes sure your site is safe and secure that it can be easily accessed when people click on your link or type your URL.
Finding a reliable hosting provider is one thing that really counts. There are hundreds, if not thousands of web hosting services out there to choose from, but what you should be looking for in all of them is;
Speed, Security, Storage, Performance, and Real-time Support. These are important features to consider when choosing a web hosting service. There are many out there, but few are chosen.
Bluehost is one web hosting service, I’ve found worthy. They provide affordable web hosting, a free domain name for the first year of your web hosting and a couple of spectacular features to help you get started smoothly.
Setting up a Fashion Blog Using WordPress
Note: At Mmoinstitute, we believe in transparency. If you sign up for Bluehost through our referral link, we will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you (in fact, you will save money and get a free domain name). We would get this commission to recommend just about any WordPress hosting company, but we only recommend products we personally use and believe it will add value to our readers.
A domain name typically costs $14.99 / year and web hosting normally costs $7.99 / month. That’s a huge one for beginners who are just starting out.
Luckily, Bluehost offers a free domain, a free SSL, and a 60% discount on hosting to our readers. Basically, you can get started for as low as $2.75 / month.
Ready? Let’s get started.
1. First, you need to go to the Bluehost website and click on the get started button. On the next screen, you will be asked to choose a plan. We recommend either the basic or plus plans. You can always upgrade later if you need to.
2. Next, it will ask you to choose a domain name for your website. A domain name is your website’s address, this is what users will type in their browsers to visit your blog.
You need to choose a domain name that reflects your personal voice. It should be unique, creative, and interesting. After you enter your domain name, you need to fill out your details to complete the purchase.
3. You will receive your account details in an email sent to the address you provided during the signup. This email contains your web hosting control panel (cPanel) dashboard link and login information.
This is where you manage everything from support, emails, among other things. But most importantly, this is where you install WordPress. Here you can install WordPress and set up your website in a few minutes.
4. In the cPanel, you will see dozens of small icons for different services and features. This can be a bit overwhelming, so ignore 95% of them because you will never need to use them. Scroll down to the website section and click on the WordPress icon.
5. You will be redirected to the Bluehost Marketplace Quick Install screen for WordPress. Click on the Get Started button.
6. On the next screen, you will be asked to select your domain name. Choose the domain from the dropdown and then click next.
7. After that, you need to enter your Site Name, username, and a password for your site. You also need to check all the checkboxes and then click Install. The QuickInstall will start installing WordPress.
8. The marketplace will prompt you to browse WordPress themes, while WordPress is being installed. No need to do that right now. We’ll show you how to get free WordPress themes in the next step. Once WordPress is finished installing, you will see the success notice in the top header bar.
9. Click on the Installation Complete link, and it will take you to the screen with your WordPress login URL and password.
Congratulations, you have created your WordPress site. That wasn’t too bad, right?
Your WordPress login URL will look like this: http://yoursite.com/wp-admin
Click on the WordPress login link to login to your dashboard.
Now we’re ready to customize your site’s appearance and start blogging.
Choose a Theme and Design Your Blog
A blog about fashion and style cannot just go with a plain-looking business or blogging layout. Your website needs a design that represents your unique sense of style and creativity.
Most fashion bloggers are not website designers, so how do you create a website design that is unique, elegant, stylish, and of course creative?
If you have gone with a self-hosted platform as we suggested, you will have plenty of good themes at disposal, there are thousands of pre-made WordPress templates that you can choose from, both free and paid.
However paid themes are incredibly great and most of these themes are relatively inexpensive. Like the one, we usually recommend, Mythemeshop. Once you buy a theme, you will own it forever and get all the benefit of great support and customization option that applies to premium WordPress themes.
Each of these themes comes with its own settings page. This is where you will set up the theme, add your website logo, choose colors, and select basic settings.
Depending on which theme you choose, you will find tons of customization options. We recommend striving for simplicity in your website’s design for a cleaner look.
Now, how do you install your theme?
1. After downloading your theme, head over to your WordPress dashboard
2. Click on Appearance, under it submenus, you will see Themes, click on it. There, you will see the “Add New” option, click on it.
3. Select the theme file you just download and click on install. Wait for some minutes for the installation to be complete, then finally click on Activate.
Now your theme is live!!!
Add Relevant Contents to your Blog
Once you have a functioning design in place, you can start adding relevant content to your blog. We recommend adding the static contents first. Static contents are pages that are common among all websites on the internet.
Now, this is where you will develop your own voice. Your blog posts need to be entertaining, informative, and helpful. Running a blog means, you will need to regularly come up with new ideas for your blog posts.
To come up with regular blog post ideas, visit popular blogs in the fashion industry to gather inspiration. See what these top blogs are doing and replicate the same on your blog.
Top 10 Fashion Blogs that are making it in 2019
Here are some of the top fashion blogs that you can follow for inspiration.
1. We Wore What – (Danielle Bernstein)
2. Sincerely Jules – (Julie Sariñana)
3. The Blonde Salad – (Chiara Ferragni)
4. Gal Meets Glam – (Julia Engel)
5. Song of Style – (Aimee Song)
6. Kayture – (Kristina Bazan)
7. Wendy’s Lookbook – (Wendy Nguyen)
8. Atlantic-Pacific – (Blair Eadie)
9. The Chriselle Factor – (Chriselle Lim)
10. Gary Pepper Girl – (Nicole Warne)
One thing you will notice about each of the top fashion blogs above is that they all have their own unique voice, personality, and taste in fashion. These fashion bloggers bring their own unique perspective to highlight their favorite products, merchandise, and brands.
Optimize Your Fashion Blog to Get More Visitors
Once you start adding useful contents, you should also consider the fact that your contents must be seen and read. Now, the next step is to make sure that users can find your website.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the best partner for any business that wants to reach its target audience without spending extra. The main objective of SEO is to increase the visibility of your site in the search field.
Most popular blogs get a large portion of their traffic from search engines like Google and Bing. Marketers use SEO to optimize their website for higher rankings.
Keyword Research is one of the most important aspects of SEO. Your prospective customers use various words and phrases to find products or services you offer. But how customers search for your service could be different from what you’d use to describe it, in text content on your website.
By analyzing the keywords that your prospective customers use to find sites like yours, you’re better able to provide those customers with the content and landing pages they’re looking for. Learn more here on how to do keyword research for SEO.
Start Making Money from Your Fashion Blog
Ever wondered how fashion bloggers afford their clothes, makeup, and accessories? Actually, they don’t have to. Most successful fashion bloggers promote sponsored content where brands pay them to promote products. Paid and sponsored content is the major source of revenue for many fashion bloggers.
Before we get into, how you can start making money from your blog, let me quickly say this. Making money blogging is not something you should start thinking immediately, as you just start your fashion blog. Though, having this in mind is essential.
Before you can start making money from your blog you need to find your readers, start building relationships with them, create a community around your blog and continue to deliver value as content before you will be able to build long term income from your blog.
Here we will list the most effective ways you can start making money from your fashion blog when you’re first starting out.
1. Display Ads Using Google AdSense
Most websites on the internet rely more on ads to generate revenue. Google AdSense allows you to easily display ads on your website and make money from your blog even when you’re just starting. This is where many bloggers start.
2. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing allows you the freedom to recommend products you love. You get a referral commission when your users purchase a product after clicking on your link.
To make money with affiliate marketing, you will need to find fashion products and brands with an affiliate program. The biggest affiliate partner you can sign up for is Amazon Affiliates. They have tons of products in fashion, clothing, and accessories that you can recommend and get paid for it. See our step by step guide on how to start affiliate marketing.
3. Build an Instagram Following
Instagram has placed itself as the top social network for fashion and style influencers. You need to join Instagram and start posting with relevant hashtags to make sure that your posts reach the right audience.
The best way to come up with an Instagram strategy is by following other top fashion blogs on Instagram. Study their posts, descriptions, and hashtags and try to replicate the same effect with your Instagram posts.
You should also network with other influencers and do S4S, share for share, campaigns. In this strategy, each party will share the other’s Instagram posts and tag them. It helps both people increase their following.
Another easy way to build an Instagram following is by sharing your Instagram posts on your WordPress blog.
4. Brand Promotions
Reach out to brands, fashion startups, and agencies to partner up with them. The best way to find which companies are doing blog promotions is to keep an eye on top fashion bloggers and their Instagram posts.
We hope this article helped you to start your fashion blog and make money from it.
If you find that this post is useful, please do not hesitate to share it with your friends using the share buttons below.